Institute of Experimental Physics
040 01 Košice
The first director of the institute was Prof.J. Dubinský, who resided until 1980. Between 1980 and 1986 the Institute was headed by Academician V.Hajko. 1986 -1990 by Dr.M.Seman and since 1990 it has been headed by Dr.Peter Kopčanský.
The Institute of Experimental Physics consists of seven scientific departments.
- The Department of Space Physics
- The Department of Subnuclear Physics
- The Department of Magnetism
- The Department of Low Temperature
- The Department of Metal Physics
- The Department of Biophysics
- The Department of Theoretical Physics
The Scietific Council elected by the research staff represents a counsultative-advisory body. The institute employs around 120 people including research staff with the scientific qualification - Candidatus Scientiarum (PhD) and Doctor Scientiarum (second degree), graduate students, technicians and administration.
Before the foundation of IEP there had been three decades of scientific activities in several physics laboratories and departments in the two main universities - the Technical University (TU) and the P.J.Šafárik University (UPJŠ) of the city of Košice.