SAS Offers for Commercial Sphere
Aluminium foam is a highly porous aluminium or aluminium alloy based material prepared by a special technique. Pores represent more than two thirds of the total volume of the material what gives the density values under 1 g.cm-3. With regard to its porous structure the foam exhibits high specific stiffness, low thermal and electrical conductivity, high sound absorption and excellent deformation energy absorption at low stress levels. These properties together with heat and flame resistance, full recycling potential and environmental compatibility make the aluminium foam attractive for applications particularly in building and transport industries.
The several unique techniques for the foaming of aluminium foam from powdered precursor have been developed in a frame of international cooperation at IMMM SAS since 1994. The main goal is the possibility to use the same precursor for components with different shapes and sizes what lowers the high production costs of powder metallurgical process for the production of metallic foams. The surface of foamed components is covered by a compact metallic layer that significantly improves the strength and the metallic appearance of the component (it is not distinguishable from the component produced from a bulk aluminium).
- self supporting light panels for transport and architecture
- cores for sandwich structures or isotropic sandwiches
- environmentally harmless material for inflammable ceiling and wall panels in hotels, supermarkets and other public buildings with improved thermal and sound insulation
- alternative to wood as an inflammable and dimension stable material, resistant to parasites and moulds, easy recyclable, etc.
- lightweight machine components with a high stiffness and good damping properties
- permanent cores for castings
- hollow profiles partially foamed in weakest sections
- impact energy absorption components for cars as protection for passengers
- protective deformation zones for lifting and conveying systems
- housings for electronic devices providing effective electromagnetic, thermal and sound shielding
- sound absorbers for difficult conditions (high temperature, moisture, dust, flowing gas, vibrations, sterile environment, etc.)
- recyclable thermal shields and isolation
- floating structures for increased temperatures and pressures
The technological equipment for manufacturing of diverse complex shaped parts and panels from aluminium foam has been developed. The technology for partial foaming of hollow steel profiles and preparation of foam-cored sandwiches is also available. Nowadays the main attention is given to the optimizing of foaming technique, manufacturing of prototypes and to characterization and modelling of their properties.
IMMS offers the development and manufacturing of prototypes for testing under real loading conditions as well as the expertise in the selection of proper aluminium foam applications.